Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Merry Little Christmas 2013

I'm sure I'll say this every year from here on out, but this was the best Christmas of my adult life.

 We got another year in with no tree or ornament damage! Thank you, E!
 With Grandma K


With circumstances being what they are, this was a scaled back Christmas. No gifts. No big parties to attend. No hustle and bustle around our house. I have to admit at first, it was a little sad. I felt this instinct to shop, to be out in the thick of it all. I felt like I should have been busier. But instead  I took E to see Santa, we cruised down Candy Cane lane in our neighborhood and just tried to enjoy the festiveness rather than the ridiculous materialism of it all.

I can't tell  you how much I wanted a picture just like this. We may have went to Santa with no nap. I'm a horrible person! But it just makes me laugh. Pretty sure she would have cried no matter what. 

Christmas Eve at Nana's

Then once it was upon us, I felt nothing but delight and peace as I embraced my most favorite holiday.

Christmas Eve was spent with B's family. A smaller group that usual, the focus was completely on E and she knew it. She twirled her sweet Christmas dress and smiled so big when she realized she had the attention of everyone in the room. As she opened her gifts from her Nana, I found myself holding my breath, sucking in the tears. I don't know where the emotion came from (I hadn't even had a drink)  but I just felt so present and so damn lucky to be watching my daughter experience Christmas, and look so darn cute doing it. It just felt like a dream coming true. I can't remember a time where I've ever felt such pure joy.

A baby Ariel doll from Nana's Disneyland trip

Christmas day was so relaxed and wonderful. Just my parents and us. My mom had bought E a few toys and she loved opening them and seemed to grasp the idea that they were new toys. We made a delicious prime rib dinner after watching movies all afternoon. Naps were taken, drinks were poured and besides a quick visit from Bret's cousin, A, we had a very quiet day. Just glorious.



Opening presents from Grandma and Grandpa with the two babies!

Best gift ever!


As we went to bed that night B and I agreed it was the best Christmas ever and we really, really enjoyed not doing gifts. More than we could have ever imagined.

I was sad to take the Christmas decor down and away that Sunday, but of course it feels great to start a new year, too. I don't know where 2014 will take us, but I'm glad I have the sweetest company along for the ride.

2 comments:

  1. Such a great post! And I LOVE the pic with the bow on E's bum. Seriously adorable and a must-frame!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! And I LOVE the pic with the bow on E's bum. Seriously adorable and a must-frame!!!

    ReplyDelete